US Marijuana Party

Thursday, February 10, 2005

Officials ponder privatizing county jail

By Sylvain Metz
The Clarion-Ledger

Looking for ways to trim expenses, the Madison County Board of Supervisors is researching privatizing the county jail.

Sheriff Toby Trowbridge emphasized discussions are "real preliminary." He said he liked what he heard from a presentation last week from Corrections Corporation of America (CCA) of Nashville, Tenn. The company operates more than 60 prison facilities in 20 states, including one in Mississippi.

"I believe private industry can do things better than government," Trowbridge said. "My main concern is for my employees, making sure they are taken care of."


I agree with Sheriff Trowbridge when he says,"private industry can do things better than government". However, I don't think a company that is intimately entwined with, connected to and dependent on the government can truly be called private industry.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home