US Marijuana Party

Sunday, October 09, 2005

Christians and the Drug War

Over the course of the last week I have received around 500 emails with 499 of them being very positive and supportive. Some of those even came from people who have never smoked pot and disagree with my views on the drug war.

Like this one for instance

Mrs. Nall, I've got to say that I admire your determination and candidness. More politicians should speak their minds without worrying about what effect it will have on public opinion polls.
While you and I may not see eye to eye on the marijuana issue, I can't help but agree that there is a major problem within our prison system. They're overcrowded, understaffed and underfunded. There's not enough emphasis on rehabilitation and treatment......My best to you, Mrs. Nall. You haven't got my vote for the election, but I wish you luck.


Then today I got one from a lady who heard me on the radio on Friday in Montgomery who supports the drug war and claims to be a recovered addict. She has requested that I drop out of the race which is kind of funny in a really sad way.

Apparently she is now hooked on Jesus instead of drugs and I don't think it has helped her mental state all that much. She thinks it is perfectly ok for Roy Moore to be in the race but my candidacy somehow tarnishes the squeaky clean reputation of Alabama politics.

So, I'd like to pose this question to my fellow Alabamians who are reading this and who may be religious.

What Would Jesus Do About the Drug War?
Would Jesus lock people up in cages and the ostracize them from society?
or
Would Jesus seek to minimize harms associated with drug use and heal the person suffering from addiction?

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home