US Marijuana Party

Wednesday, December 22, 2004

Martha Stewart Asks Public to Support Drug Policy Reform

Please visit Martha Talks and read Martha's message and visit
links there and feel free to add to the "Notes" portion, extending warm
greetings to Martha and her staff.


Dear Friends,

When one is incarcerated with 1,200 other inmates, it is hard to be selfish
at Christmas -- hard to think of Christmases past and Christmases future --
that I know will be as they always were for me -- beautiful! So many of the
women here in Alderson will never have the joy and wellbeing that you and I
experience. Many of them have been here for years -- devoid of care, devoid
of love, devoid of family.

I beseech you all to think about these women -- to encourage the American
people to ask for reforms, both in sentencing guidelines, in length of
incarceration for nonviolent first-time offenders, and for those involved in
drug-taking. They would be much better served in a true rehabilitation
center than in prison where there is no real help, no real programs to
rehabilitate, no programs to educate, no way to be prepared for life "out
there" where each person will ultimately find herself, many with no skills
and no preparation for living.

I am fine, really. I look forward to being home, to getting back to my
valuable work, to creating, cooking, and making television. I have had time
to think, time to write, time to exercise, time to not eat the bad food, and
time to walk and contemplate the future. I've had my work here too. Cleaning
has been my job ­ washing, scrubbing, sweeping, vacuuming, raking leaves,
and much more. But like everyone else here, I would rather be doing all of
this in my own home, and not here -- away from family and friends.

I want to thank you again, and again, for your support and encouragement.
You have been so terrific to me and to everyone who stood by me. I
appreciate everything you have done, your emails, your letters, and your
kind, kind words.
Happy holidays,

Martha Stewart

P.S. I thought you might be interested in the brief my lawyers filed with
the Court this afternoon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home