Ousted Alabama chief justice to run for governor
By PHILLIP RAWLS
Associated Press Writer
GADSDEN, Ala. (AP) -- Ousted Alabama Chief Justice Roy Moore announced his candidacy for governor Monday, likely setting up a showdown with Republican incumbent Bob Riley and turning Moore's Ten Commandments fight into a political campaign issue.
Moore made the announcement in Gadsden, where he first gained national recognition as a circuit judge fighting to keep a homemade plaque of the Ten Commandments displayed in his courtroom.
WSFA Channel 12 out of Montgomery has posted Moore's platform.
Return Alabama To The People
1. Legislative reform - Stop power of special interest lobbyists and return control of government to the people of Alabama.
* Term Limits. No legislator should be allowed to serve 3 consecutive terms in the same office, a provision already in effect for other constitutional officers.
* Fewer Legislative Sessions. The Alabama legislature should hold regular sessions every other year, as it has done during three periods of our history.
* "Double-Dipping." Iron-clad legislation to stop the unethical practice of legislators holding two state positions for profit, making them taxpayer-paid lobbyists for special interests.
2. Education - Recognize freedom in education and return control of education to the parents.
* Eliminate education bureaucracy and control of special interest labor union bosses.
* Explore enhancements to the public education system such as: charter schools, private tax credits, (SGO) scholarships granting organizations, etc.
3. Taxation and wasteful government spending - Restore a conservative philosophy of government.
* Just say "No" to irresponsible taxes like the "largest tax increase in history" recently proposed by the current administration.
* Revoke order mandating annual reappraisals of property which result in increased taxes every year.
* Stop "pork barrel" spending by strengthening the Governor's veto power.
4. Illegal aliens - Secure Alabama citizenship.
* Urge the President and U.S. Congress to close U.S. borders to illegal entry.
* Effective legislation to impose fines and penalties on those who employ illegal aliens for their own profit.
5. Morality - Preserve our moral heritage.
* Defend the right of every person to include teachers, judges, and state, county and municipal offices to publicly acknowledge God as the moral foundation of law, liberty, and government.
* Oppose gambling, pornography, and same-sex marriage.
* Secure God-given inalienable rights of life, liberty, and property.
Commitment to the People of Alabama
I hereby pledge to uphold and support the principles set forth
in the above platform, Return Alabama,
when elected to the office of Governor.
So help me God!
signed Roy Moore