US Marijuana Party

Tuesday, February 08, 2005

Palm Beach Update

Today was very productive.

I met up with Sean, a local activist and frequent viewer of Pot TV, and we hit John I. Leonard HS around 2 pm armed with a video camera, mic, loads of stickers, flyers and information on how to stand up for your rights.

Someone recommended I contact Frank Cerabino at the Palm Beach Post. Frank is a very popular columnist in this area who is known to be anti-Rush Limbaugh.
So, earlier this morning I sent him an email detailing who I am and why I am here and what my plans for the day were and at 2 pm Frank shows up with his photographer and proceeds to cover me talking to the high school kids about the drug raid and also about the US Marijuana Party and Pot TV, about my personal experiences with the drug war and my involvement in reforming the Alabama prison system and my run for Governor.

That piece will be Frank's column in tomorrow's Palm Beach Post.

I was forwarned that he will poke fun at me where he can because that is just the way he writes...with biting satire and wit...but that is what makes a piece good.
I am looking forward to what he has to say about today.

The kids at John I. Leonard are terrified.

When I went to Goose Creek kids rushed me wanting to talk about what had happened.
Here they shy away.
These are the four reactions that I encountered today.

Q. What did you think about the undercover operation here at your school?

1. I didn't know about it

2. It ain't none of my business, I have no opinion and I ain't sayin' shit

3. I thought it was a great idea because it keeps us all safe

4. I thought it sucked and that it was wrong (minority of the kids said this...incidentally this group of kids grabbed all of the SSDP stuff that I took with me today)

None of them would consent to being on camera.

Very sad to see kids so scared.
What kid doesn't want to be on a video camera?
What kid has "no opinion"?

I refuse to believe that some of the kids did not know about the raid as they claimed. This is high school for god sake....you can't keep anything quiet in high school....especially not somethiing like an undercover drug sting. Someone has drilled into these kids not to talk I suspect.

Jupiter High however seems to be in a tizzy over the whole thing with parents speaking out against what happened so maybe I will get some eager kids who want to express themselves tomorrow at Jupiter.

The Jupiter Courier will be coming out to cover me talking to those kids.

There are a lot of people here willing to pitch in and lend a hand. Sean, who I mentioned earlier, came over this morning and has chauffered me around the city all day long.

Josh from FAU NORML came to Leonard High today to help out then took us back to his place to meet other FAU NORML members and to share some good ummm conversation and pizza.

A couple from Cannabis Culture forums who have asked to remain anon for security reasons have taken me under their wing and have seen to it that I had every possible comfort.

So, today was a great day and tomorrow I get to do it all over again.

Loretta

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home